IACP 2013 officially kicked off today, and many attendees from around the world made their way to Philadelphia today to start their conference experience.
Saturday’s schedule included:
- 36 Educational sessions
- 29 Meetings
- 4 Networking events
Here are some of the highlights:
At the First-timers’ Orientation, 100 delegates heard tips on how to make the most of their IACP 2013 conference experience. They heard from Assistant Attorney General Karol Mason, U.S. Department of Justice; Chief Craig T. Steckler, IACP President; Chief Yost Zakhary, IACP First Vice President; Chief Richard Beary, Second Vice President; and Bart R. Johnson, IACP Executive Director.
- The Philadelphia Police Department led delegates on the 2013 Motorcycle Ride for Heroes. Riders toured the Bucks County countryside, where they took in covered bridges and scenic rural roadways. Proceeds benefit the Fraternal Order of Police Survivors Fund.
At the Opening Ceremony, IACP President Craig Steckler officially called IACP 2013 to order. The Philadelphia Police and Fire Pipes and Drums opened the ceremony with an outstanding performance, and keynote Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey spoke on policing in the 21st Century.
Coming up tomorrow:
Special Olympic Law Enforcement Torch Run 5K: 8:00AM, Philadelphia Memorial Hall
- Expo Hall Ribbon Cutting: 9:45AM, Expo Hall Floor
- Expo Hall open 10:00AM to 5:00PM
- Philadelphia Highway Patrol Drill Team special performance: 5:15PM, the 1200 block of Market Street
- The Free Day Parking Lots open: 6:00AM to 6:00PM